It has been said that we each have 7 different careers in one lifetime but how true is this? Here’s my career synopsis so far … ‘Clerk typist to Entrepreneur’!
- My very first job was working as a clerk typist In Blackburn for a company called Keithnewmark Ltd.
- I then moved to Manchester where I worked at Sightandsound Secretarial College on Princess Street in Manchester.
- Next, I worked in the recruitment industry for 12 years, commencing Brookstreet Agency on Market Street, helping to open the first Adecco on Deansgate in Manchester, ending Reed Employment on King Street, Manchester.
- My next career move was working for Video Arts opening and managing their first local Manchester based office. This role completely changed my view of learning. They coined the phrase ‘Laughter and Learning’! I also had the pleasure of meeting John Cleese, Dawn French and Lenny Henry at one of their events!
- I then returned to studying The University of Salford as a part time mature student where I began my career in HR/Learning and Development. I completed my Post Graduate Diploma in HR and then my Master’s degree. This career move was a game changer for me, I became a member of CIPD and was the Branch Chair of the Manchester Branch. I have recently been awarded Chartered Companion of the CIPD
- All my previous knowledge and expertise gave me the confidence needed to establish my own business @olivestrachanconsultancy!
- I am now a published Author with my first book The Power of You and I am currently writing my second book!
It has been a long and varied career, with many challenges along the way. Each step making me stronger and more resilient, bringing me to where I am today.
What is your career journey? #entrepreneur #recruitment #business #hr